PROF. DR. MUBARAK ALI
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
ESTABLISHMENT OF DEPARTMENT OF PEDIATRICS:
Department of Pediatrics was established in 1984 as one of the sub-specialty of General Medicine, initially beds were allocated in general medicine ward and later separate ward was established. Sheikh Zayed Hospital was declared as baby friendly hospital in 2003 by Government of Pakistan & UNICEF. The Pediatric department is accredited for FCPS, MD & MCPS training by the College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan & UHS Lahore since 2007. Since then, dozens of Post-graduates has qualified MCPS & FCPS. The department provides round the clock emergency cover to pediatric patients of about ten million population of southern Punjab as well as adjoining areas of the province of the Sindh and Baluchistan.
HEADs OF DEPARTMENT:
- Dr. Syed Shahzad Ali Bukhari, MBBS, DCH
- Dr. Masud Iqbal Babar, MBBS, DCH, MCPS, FCPS
- Dr. Makhdoom Basharat Hussain, MBBS, DCH
HEADs OF TEACHING DEPARTMENT:
- Dr. Mubarak Ali Ch. MBBS, MCPS, FCPS, Associate Professor from 1st June, 2006 to 31-01-2009.
- Prof. Dr. Mubarak Ali Ch. MBBS, MCPS, FCPS, from 01-02-2009 to 25-11-2009)
- Prof. Dr. Rashid Mahmood, MBBS, MCPS, FCPS from 26-11-2009 to 09-12-2012.
- Prof. Dr. Humayun Iqbal Khan, MBBS, MCPS, FCPS, from 10-12-2012 to 13-06-2014.
- Prof. Dr. Mubarak Ali Ch. MBBS, MCPS, FCPS from 14-06-2014 to 15-10-2017.
- PROF. DR. MUHAMMAD SALEEM, MBBS, MCPS, FCPS(Gold Medalist) from 12-10-2017 to 18-03-2021.
- Prof. Dr. Mubarak Ali, MBBS, MCPS, FCPS from 19-03-2021 to date.
PRESENT HEAD OF DEPARTMENT:
Prof. Dr. Mubarak Ali, joined as 1st teaching Head of Pediatric Department, SZMC/SZH on 01-06-2006. Prof. Dr. Mubarak Ali also remained Principal, SZMC/SZH from 16-02-2017 to 20-05-2019 and then he was transferred to the Children Hospital & the Institute of Child Health, Multan as Head of Department of all Pediatric Medicine sub-specialties, where he served for 1.5 years & rejoined SZMC/SZH on 19-03-2021.
TEACHING FACULTY, UNIT-I:
a. For patients:
Pediatric department has 125 sanctioned beds (Pediatric ward 90+ Pediatric/Neonatal ICU 35), however, to accommodate heavy load of patients, there are more than 250 operating beds. Approximately 230-250 patients remain admitted in the ward with daily turnover of about 100 patients. The department provides facilities in the following sections.
- Neonatal ICU
- Pediatric ICU
- Well baby nursery & sick baby bursary
- Pediatric Emergency
- Other sections: Gastro, Nephrology / Neurology, Cardiology/Pulmonology, Isolation
- Stabilization center for Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM)
- Center for Thalassemia Care (CTC)
- Pediatric & Emergency OPD for general and referred patients.
- Pediatric Pharmacy
- Nutritionists for nutritional counseling
b. PATIENT’S STATICS:
|3||Patients Turn Out / Day||50-60 pt||70-80 pt||80-85 pt||90-110||90-110||55-90|
|4||Hospital Stay in Days||3-10
|3-7 days||3-7 days||3-7 days|
c. For Trainees (Under-Graduate & Post-Graduates).
For continuous professional development, CME, teaching & training of undergraduate & postgraduate students, Pediatric department is fully equipped with all modern Modes of Information Transmissions (MITs) including.
- Departmental library: A departmental library with adequate number of essential books and periodicals/journals are kept in it for the help and benefit of teaching staff.
- Computer Lab with Internet & Wi-Fi facilities.
- Seminar Room: A capacious seminar room with Multimedia and all other modern facilities.
- Eight Neonatal Manikins for hands on training of Neonatal Resuscitation.
- Material & facilities for workshops on Thalassemia, SAM (Severe Acute Malnutrition) Management, Bronchial Asthma etc.
- Structured teaching & training programs for PG trainees strictly in accordance with the CPSP & UHS guidelines.
- E-Library having free access most of National & International Pediatric Journal.
Accomplishments & Achievements:
Right from the start, the department has setup high values & standards of Under-Graduate & Post-Graduate teaching & training. Pediatric Department was declared as the “The Best Clinical Teaching Department” and PROF. DR. MUBARAK ALI as “The Best Clinical Teacher” by the 1st final year MBBS session 2009-10. Later on, whenever voting by the outgoing Final year was conducted, the results were the same.
The following doctors has attained their post-graduate degree while being in the department.
|1.||Dr. M. Tahir Javed Akhtar (MCPS)||2004|
|2.||Dr. Ashiq Hussain (MCPS)||2008|
|3.||Dr. Muhammad Sajid (DCH)||2010|
|4.||Dr. Raghib Iqbal (FCPS)||2011|
|5.||Dr. Javeria Younis (FCPS)||2014|
|6.||Dr. Zahid Mehmood(FCPS)||2016|
|7.||Dr. Qasim Mehmood (MCPS)||2018|
|8.||Dr. Zahid Mehmood Baloch (FCPS)||2018|
|9.||Dr. Muhammad Adnan Zafar (FCPS)||2018|
|10.||Dr. Sajida Khalid (FCPS)||2018|
|11.||Dr. Riaz-ul-Haq (FCPS)||2019|
|12.||Dr. Riaz Ahmad (FCPS)||2019|
|13.||Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Tayyab (FCPS)||2019|
|14.||Dr. Fozia Ahmed (FCPS)||2019|
|15.||Dr. Muhammad Imran Danish (FCPS)||2020|
|16.||Dr. Muhammad Talal Arshad (FCPS)||2020|
|17.||Dr. Mudassar Rasheed (FCPS)||2020|
|18.||Dr. Muhammad Usman (MCPS)||2021|
|19.||Dr. Qamar Hussain (MCPS)||2021|
FINAL YEAR MBBS RESULTS :
|Sr. No.||Year||Distinctions||Pediatric Result %age|
PROF. DR. MUHAMMAD SALEEM
Head of Pediatric Unit-II
Pediatric Unit-II was established on 25-10-2018.
1st Head: Prof. Dr. Jamal Anwar, MBBS, FCPS from 25-10-2018 to 18-03-2021.
Current Head: Prof. Dr. Muhammad Saleem Laghari, MBBS, MCPS, FCPS (Gold Medalist) from 19-03-2021 to date.
Teaching Faculty of Pediatric Unit-II